Does your dog not drink enough? Does your dog use his water bowl for a bath? Has your dog ever completely run out of water and you that you feel guilty not only in leaving him alone to go to work but in addition, find you have not attended to his water needs?
Are water fountains good for dogs?
For dogs, your Leave it to Beaver father may have been right. According to the New York Times, who interviewed vets for an article about pet water fountains, there is no evidence to indicate that dogs are any more likely to drink out of a fountain than they are a bowl. And that advice comes straight from the vets.
Dogs and cats drink differently, and it is more likely that a water fountain will benefit a cat than a dog.
Top Rated Dog Water Fountains of June 2022
Rating is 5 out of 5
PetSafe Drinkwell Multi-Tier Cat and Dog Drinking Fountain, 100 Oz Capacity Automatic Water Dispenser for Pets, Fresh Free-Flowing Stream, Easy to Clean Hygienic Durable Material, Filters Included
- 100-ounce water capacity: Perfect size for cats and dogs of all sizes
- Encourages pets to drink: A free-falling stream of water entices pets to drink more and helps prevent urinary and kidney diseases through increased hydration
- 2-tier design: The versatility of this fountain allows your pet to drink from either the upper or lower bowl; The tiered design is great for senior pets or arthritic pets
- Clean and hygienic: The constant water circulation inhibits bacteria growth, and the carbon filter removes bad tastes and odors from the water; Place this BPA-free fountain in the top rack of the dishwasher and hand wash the pump separately
- No thirsty pets: This fountain incorporates an open bowl design, so if your home loses power, your cat or dog will still have access to water from any side
- Compatible filters and pump: Fountain is compatible with PetSafe Drinkwell Carbon Filter No.1 (PAC00-13067) and Drinkwell Replacement Pump (PAC00-13206)
Rating is 4.9 out of 5
Pioneer Pet Big Max Stainless Steel Drinking Fountain, 128 ounces (Stainless Steel)
- Circulating drinking water is naturally appealing to your pet with 128 oz. capacity
- Continuously filters water with replaceable charcoal filter for clean and pure, healthy water
- Dishwasher safe, heavy-duty ceramic construction allows for easy cleaning
Rating is 4.8 out of 5
PetSafe Drinkwell 2 Gallon Dog and Cat Water Fountain, Best for Large Dog Breeds and Multiple Pet Households, Easy-to-Clean Design, Filters Included
- 2-GALLON WATER CAPACITY: This BPA-free fountain is the perfect size for cats, dogs and multi-pet households
- ENCOURAGES HYDRATION: A free-falling stream of water entices pets to drink more and helps prevent urinary and kidney diseases in pets through increased hydration
- FILTERED WATER: Replaceable carbon filter removes bad tastes and odors while the foam filter catches pet hair and debris
- CUSTOMIZABLE WATER FLOW: Adjustable water flow allows you to customize the stream for you and your pet, or turn it off for a quieter operation
- EASY TO CLEAN: The pet fountain is top-rack dishwasher safe (excluding the pump) and specifically designed with no hard to reach places
- COMPATIBLE FILTERS AND PUMP: Fountain uses PetSafe Drinkwell Carbon Filter #6 (PAC00-13906), PetSafe Drinkwell Foam Filter #5 (PAC00-13711) and Drinkwell Replacement Pump (PAC00-16977)
Rating is 4.7 out of 5
CLEEBOURG Cat Water Fountain, 2L Automatic Dog Water Dispenser Electric Water Drinking Fountain with 3 Flow Settings & 2 Replacement Filters & 1 Silicone Mat for Cats Dogs Multiple Pets
- 【DIFFERENT WATER ACTIONS】: This pet drinking water fountain has 3 different water flow functions: gentle fountain; mid-speed and high-speed fountain, which attract little animals to drink more. You can adjust it by switch on Pump.
- 【LARGE CAPACITY & WINDOW】: Designed with 2L(68oz) large capacity holds enough water for cats, dogs and other pets of various sizes drinking for days. Comes with 2 replaceable filters in package. Easily check water level by transparent window.
- 【PET FRIENDLY MATERIALS】: Our drinking water fountain is made of finely cleaned PP gum and BPA free materials. It detects low water level to avoid dry burning
- 【NEW UPGRADED WORKING PUMP】: With 1.5W low power consumption DC pump, works super quiet. No worries of disturbing you and your pets rest. You will only hear soft sound of natural water flowing.
Rating is 4.6 out of 5
VinDox Cat Water Fountain, 84oz/2.5L Pet Water Fountain Stainless Steel for Cat and Dog,Auto Power Off Pump, Pet Fountain with 3 Replacement Filters & 1 Brush, Water Level Window with LED Light
- 【Cat Fountain with Large 2.5-Liter Capacity】Pet cat fountain stainless steel can safely store water for up to a month. The automatic water dispenser features large 2.4L recirculating system which is made from BPA free materials.so you have complete peace of mind that our dog fountains is safe for your pets.
- 【Ultra Quiet & Low Consumption Pump】Pet cat fountain Automatic water dispenser with the super silent pump, The pump of the pet fountain is ultra quiet (below 40dB) and low consumption. It has a long service life of about 20,000 hrs.
- 【Triple Filtration System】The pet water fountain is equipped with 3 replacement filters, each composed of a cotton layer, activated carbon and an ion exchange resin. The circulation system helps provide healthy and hygienic water for your beloved pets all day!
- 【Blue LED Indicator &Easy to Clean】Can clearly show the water level, refill the water dispenser in time. Our stainless steel cat fountain comes with quick-release part allowing for easier disassembly for a more thorough cleaning.
Rating is 4.5 out of 5
PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Dog and Cat Water Fountain, Automatic Drinking Fountain for Pets, 168 Oz.
- LARGE WATER CAPACITY: 168 ounce water capacity is great for pets of all sizes or multiple pets
- ENCOURAGES DRINKING: Free-falling stream entices pets to drink more water
- FILTERED WATER: Includes replaceable carbon water filter that removes bad tastes and odors, keeping water fresh
- LESS REFILLS: Built-in reservoir increases capacity and extends time between refilling your fountain
- ADJUSTABLE STREAM: The pumps adjustable flow allows you to customize the water flow for your pet
- EASY-TO-CLEAN: Fountain is BPA-free and top-shelf dishwasher safe
Rating is 4.4 out of 5
Veken 100oz Pet Fountain, Automatic Cat Water Fountain Dog Water Fountain with LED Lights, 3 Replacement Filters for Cats, Dogs, Multiple Pets
- 3L Large Capacity: If your furry friends dislike their whiskers touching things - a wider bowl will be more comfortable for them. 3L / 100oz is ideal for small to medium dogs, cats, birds multi-pet households.
- Quality Materials: Made of quality materials, this automatic pet fountain is BPA free, durable, and it is easy to operate and clean. Furthermore, there is a transparent window to observe the pet's water consumption. You can choose to turn the LED lights on or off.
- Double Deck Pet Fountain: Your pets have a choice of drinking from upper bowl, lower bowl, or the free-falling stream. The continually flowing water which has a fresh taste entices pets to drink more.
- Triple Filtration System: The pet water fountain is equipped with 3 replacement filters, each composed of a cotton layer, coconut shell activated carbon and an ion exchange resin. They form a triple filtration system to prevent your pets from getting sick.
Rating is 4.3 out of 5
Zeus Fresh & Clear Elevated Dog and Cat Water Dispenser, Large Drinking Water Fountain with Purifying Filter, 6L Capacity
- Recirculating water flow provides a continuous supply of fresh and clean drinking water for your pet dog or cat
- Pet water fountain’s large surface area adds oxygen for fresher, tastier drinking water
- Comes with one triple action filter that softens tap water, collects debris, and absorbs odors (replacement filters sold separately)
- Elevated dog bowl provides a better drinking position for large breeds, older dogs, or dogs with arthritis, muscle, and joint problems
- The pet fountain holds 200 fl.oz. (5.9 L) of water, ensuring that there is an abundant amount of water for several days or for multiple dogs
However, a drinking fountain has one main major advantage for its human owner, and that is the fact that it can save the owner considerable time and energy not having to constantly monitor their dogs drinking bowl, and it saves them from continually refilling and cleaning the bowl, as many dogs have a tendency to fill their water bowls with lots of slobber and crud.
In short, unless you have an unusually large or messy dog, you, rather than your dog are more than likely to insist on a water dispenser for dogs.
However, there are many advantages for owners including:
- Your dog has fresh water available at all times
- It's extremely convenient for you.
- Just set it and forget, to borrow a catchphrase from a popular kitchenware appliance TV sales pitch.
- You'll never worry that your large dog ran out of water
- Nor will you worry that your dog tipped over his water bowl.
- They are generally extremely easy to clean
- Some water dispenser for dogs have upper and lower dish models:
The result? You can accommodate more than one dog.
- Even large capacity water fountains that hold 2 gallons of water or more are reasonably priced.
- Dogs quickly learn to use a paw water fountain.
For large dogs, in particular, many dog owners wouldn't dream of going without a recirculating drinking fountain.
How often should you change water in a dog fountain?
Most experts say every day. It is vital that your dog has access to fresh, clean water, and it typically takes a homeowner less than 5 minutes or so to clean a water dispenser and fill it up with water. Be sure and clean the dispenser every day, even if your dog has not used all of the water, because dogs tend to slobber over their water. Even after a couple of days, your dog's water may become filled up with harmful enzymes. And if you have a water dispenser for large dogs or multiple dogs, this can become quite critical, especially when the temperature rises. Unless you can absolutely help it, locate your dog's water fountain inside your home, where it won't get heated, or have grass, pollen, and sediment fall into the fountain.
Not only will this keep the water significantly fresher, but it will keep the filters from clogging in the fountain. Clogged filters mean that no water is being dispensed at all, and filters, once they become clogged, are the devil to clean. When deciding to purchase a water dispenser for your dogs, be sure before purchasing to buy one with enough water capacity. There is no joy in purchasing a water dispenser that isn't big enough to accommodate your dog or dogs. If you have also a cats at home you can find here https://dog-names.us/blog/best-cat-water-fountain top rated cat water fountains for your home.
Should dogs have water overnight?
This advice is best applied to puppies that are being potty trained. If you have a pup, then the advice is to generally remove access to both water and food around 2 or 3 hours for bedtime. However, adult dogs, providing they are healthy, will normally just take a few laps at the water fountain. They go by instinct and drink several times per day including at night. However, monitor your dog to see that he or she does not consume a lot of water at night. This may be an early sign of kidney disease. See your vet if your dog seems to consume a lot of water at night.
We also recommend you visit and register on the pet forum: catdogs.pet